hink of things you need to do.
- First make a list of things you need
to do for a particular day or a particular week.
- Then make another list of things
that you want to do for that day or week.
- If there are things that you need
to do and also want to do, list them in both columns.
- Think about why you need to do each
of these things and also why you want to do each of these
| A rrange
the things you need to do into categories.
- Use the following four categories:
school, work, home, and social.
- Go back to the list of things you
need to do and sort them into each of these 4 categories.
- Do the same with the things you want
- Compare the differences between the
sorting of categories for things that you want to do and the
things that you need to do.
- Prioritize each of these four categories on the basis of
what is most important. School must be ranked first if a student
is to be successful academically. Being successful in school
will lead to being successful in the workplace. Work or home
may be second depending on your specific situation. Social
activities may be least important for success for you.
- Now prioritize each of these four categories on the basis
of what is most important to you. Compare your rankings with
the rankings necessary to be successful as a teenager and
- Ask yourself, "Am I willing to prioritize school as
#1?" If you are, then you need to go back and look at
all the tasks that you have to do that you listed in the category
of school, and do them.
- As a way of helping yourself do tasks that you need to
do, use tasks that you want to do as reinforcement for doing
tasks that you need to do. For example, you may hate to write
term papers, but you know you have to do this if you are to
pass your English class. You may want to go to the movies.
Use going to the movies as reinforcement after you have completed
your term paper.
- It is difficult to keep these priorities.
It is a good idea to make the list of things you want and need
to do on a daily or weekly basis and then sort them into four
- This will help you stick with priorities that
will lead to school success. Your planning is useless if you
don't follow your plan.