Search JMU Web | Find JMU People | Site Index   

Out-of-State Licensure

Candidates who complete JMU's teacher education program are eligible for licensure in Virginia.  Limited information on licensure requirements for other states is available in the Education Support CenterAll states will require a form to verify your program completion which must be sent to and completed by the Education Support Center.  Candidates who wish to teach out-of-state should contact other state education agencies directly to obtain more detailed information, licensure applications, etc. 


Virginia is also a member of the NASDTEC Interstate Contract, which supports licensure in other member states if the grade range and content area of the Virginiaendorsement is comparable to that offered by the receiving state.  However, candidates may still have to meet other conditions such as additional tests, course work, or GPA requirements before they receive the new license. 


The following states have NASDTEC interstate licensure agreements with Virginia from 2005 to 2010: (the agreement expires September 30, 2010) [NASDTEC 2005-2010 Agreement - Virginia]