repare to take notes.
- Get your writing or word processing
- Before listening to the tape, read the notes that you took
in the lecture or notes that you got from others. Try to make
yourself familiar with the information that you will hear on
the tape. This will make it much easier to understand.
P lay the tape in small sections.
- Do not listen to the whole tape or
large sections at one time.
- Listen for a particular amount of time
(for example, 2 minutes) or listen to the information on a specific
- Take notes after each section. If you
need to replay a section, go back and replay it as many times
First listen: listen for meaning.
- The purpose of the first listen is to
get an overall picture of what is being said on this segment
of the tape. Listen to get the main ideas.
- If the section doesn't make sense, read the
notes that you took on this topic or look at the notes you have
from the teacher or other students. Going back and listening
to the previous section may also help.
2. Second listen: take notes.
- After you understand the section, take
- Try to organize your notes in an outline
3. Third Listen: review.
- Listen to the tape again as you read
the notes you have taken.
- Make sure that you have included all
the important materials.
- As you read the notes and listen to the lecture,
color code the notes you have made. Use a highlighter with one
color for main ideas and another for details.